Tuesday, July 31, 2012

In search of the GingerBread

One day while kicking around a soccer ball my friend told me the story about this gingerbread castle located literally 10-15 mins away from my house. I went home that night and told my mom all about it and she informed me that when I was a little kid it use to be an amusement park of sorts and we use to go there almost every weekend. That just made me so much more determined. We put the address into our GPS and headed out onto the adventure!





This paradise for little children was created back in the early 1900's and even when the man who originally planned for it to be built sold the mill next door he refused to sell this place. When children are young parents read them stories of fairy tales and girl's dream to become princesses. This really made you feel like you were in one of those stories, as soon as you walked up to the gate there was a giant story book, where most people would take their picture. Sitting on the wall right outside the is no other then humpty dumpty who had to be put back together. Now over 70 years later when I went searching for this wonderland humpty dumpty sat there still sitting on his wall.


Visitors to the park could have the option of being led on a tour by Hansel and Gretel. It was truly a place where all the fairy tales came true, kid's could even walk by statues of beloved characters such as Cinderella and snow white.

However when the place started to be to much to keep up they closed down for business. Then the park became a seasonal place used for haunted hay rides till a fire made it close down for good. My old high school cross country coach told me at one of our practices that they also tried making it into a club, I have yet to find that story anywhere else but I guess I will keep searching!

No comments:

Post a Comment